Sunday, October 29, 2006

Starbuck's Shuffle-WWC

When we go to Nashville we stay on Music Row and go to get coffee at the Starbuck’s on the Vanderbilt campus. Vanderbilt is a private university with a long history of capitalism. The Commodores were well heeled industrialists and probably a few planters thrown in just to make it southern. This particular Starbuck’s is filled with the upper class and everywhere you can see evidence of the Starbuck’s effort to change the world. While there last year I was inspired to write:

The Starbuck’s Shuffle

Gonna stop in at Starbuck’s, get a specialty blend
I’ll have it to go – I like it that way.
The place is crowded with beautiful people.
They’re styled and liberal – that’s what I say.
Wearing Abercrombie and Lauren,
Birkenstocks and Dock
Sippin latte – checking their stocks.

Double mocha café – decaf, extra froth
Write it on my cup.
Doing the Starbuck’s Shuffle, looking tight – feeling right.
Drinking cappuccino – checking the palm pilot
Tapping the keys on the laptop.
Takes several G’s to do the Starbuck’s Shuffle.
Doing it right – looking real tight.

It’s a green place with conservative conservationists
Napkins are smaller out of recycled paper
just below the third world campaign
Gonna save the world with my Arabica Bean
I’m going to Starbuck’s just to be seen.

It seems that now I am accused by gawilli of having a Starbuck’s jones. Dean White, the local billionaire entrepreneur in Northwest Indiana, has opened a Starbuck’s. It just so happens that this Starbuck’s is on my way to school. I stopped right after it opened and found this little booklet on Starbuck’s lingo. Now I stop for a “triple shot cappuccino in a personal cup”. It gets me through the day. It also consumes me to the point that I confuse lame and late with lame and latte.

Courtesy of Odd Mix, the words are Lame and Late.

Lame: It's lame to go to a fabric store with your wife on a Saturday even if it is to shop for
gold lame”.Late: Don't be late for work because you stopped for a latte.

The Starbuck’s Shuffle was influenced by Kate Campbell’s “New South”. She writes:

“Friday morning I was down at the Starbucks
Sippin’ on a latte with the fat left out
I had a bagel and a sudden revelation
I’m finally living in the new south.”
-Kate Campbell from the CD Monuments

9 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Great pictures. I don't go to Starbucks for the same reson that I can't shop at Old Navy. I'm just not hip enough.

And I can't work at Starbucks cause i don't have a dozen piercings and two dozen tattoos. haha

10:08 PM  
Blogger katy said...

oh but i love starbuck latte

3:26 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Love the iced Caramel Macchiato. It's yummy. We don't have a Starbucks here, but there is one in the Target Store in Branson. And, the counter-people don't have tattoos and piercings, that I could see. Maybe that's just a "big city thing". LOL

4:25 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Ha,ha very funny interpretations of this weekend's words and clever song lyrics...

Starbucks are Wal-Mart are taking over the world.

I do not especially care for Starbuck's coffee. I prefer Beaner's or Caribou coffee or better yet some local concern. But the local coffee stores ususally go out of business.

4:39 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Its the latte for me, also! I can't help digging just a bit though since you were such a reluctanct starbuckie in past days. Keep shuffling, willi!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Starbucks Shuffle is brilliant! *happy sigh* I had a good giggle over it. Thanks.

Oh! - and I love the take on "lame". Nice play on words.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so clever!

I'll do Starbucks, but only if there isn't another latte stand along the way..and in this area, there are usually three or four!

I also love the gold lame.

1:16 PM  
Blogger graymama said...

This was my first read this morning, and I am SO glad! I don't drink coffee, but your piece has jazzed me up for the day :-D

Hubby thinks fabric shopping is lame, too.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Sorry I haven't been arnoud much. I've been lurking/reading when I can. Life is still nuts but I am sort of back on track in blogland. :) Nice pictures last week.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say "Hi!" and let you ow that the weekend words are up.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home