Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lost in the Ozone

So where has willi been? Lost in the Ozone is a pretty good description. That would be the ozone of wireless router connections.

We began to experience some difficulty staying connected to our wireless router. Gawilli had a serious blogger need that I managed to meet by running a 50 foot network cable up the stairs to her desktop computer. I continued to connect briefly and read your blogs and proceded to get disconnected while trying to reply. Gawilli began to get irritated at me for not commenting on her posts. Of course I did point out that I had come upstairs to tell her how wonderful her post was, but I think she prefers the cyber connection that we had.

After two weeks of trying to reason this trouble out I finally went to Linksys.com and downloaded linksys advisor. I proceeded to setup the entire network. It worked fine. I thought I was one cool techno dude, then I lost the wireless connection again.

Gawilli returned from birthday shopping with Saraviola and they proceeded to show me their purchases. I was interested until they got to the shoes, then I vanished. I hit the linksys site one more time. This time I went to the question and answer section and typed in my problem -"my wireless connection will not stay connected".

I selected the choice about interference from your neighbors wireless network. I had been seeing new available secured networks, so I figured that might be relevant. Besides at this point I was so frustrated I could settle with blaming all my troubles on my neighbors.

Sure enough the "advisor" told me how to enter the IP address and change the channel of my router. It even gave me the default channel numbers and 2 other preferred numbers. Since I figured all of this trouble was the "default" of the neighbors I selected one of the other 2 numbers. Now, I would tell you what number I selected, but then if you moved up by me we might have "wireless" conflict. So, I will keep that to myself.

I fired up my wireless connection in the basement and it was rock solid -did not disconnect all night. The next day I clipped Gawilli 's wire and made her wireless connection and it too was rock solid. Since solving this high tech problem has made me feel like IT Gawilli and I have not stopped talking to each other through cyberspace! Do not fear we still have coffee in the mornings at the dining room table and read the paper out loud to each other.

7 Comments:

Blogger gawilli said...

Thank you honey. You are IT. I was ready to farm it out but you stuck with it and made it work. And on a football night, to boot...amazing!

8:58 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Some heroes drive shiny red trucks, wear cowboy boots, and fix technological things.

Welcome back, Willi. Ozone is not good for the lungs.

10:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wireless is just awesome. I had a wireless router and just could not get it to work. Finally I gave in and bought a wireless modem. So I cut out the router part. I hooked it up and went online to the netgear site and put in the info.

It took maybe 5 minutes. I opened up my Mac iBook and found the signal and it's been wireless internet for me ever since.

I left the desktop wired to the modem cause I don't have a wireless card for it. The guy who I bought the modem from showed me how to change it's default channel and how to make sure it didn't "broadcast" the name of the network. So my neighbors here in the apt complex can't freeload off my signal.

But, if it ever stops working I'm screwed. LOL

10:23 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

Good Job! Such a fix is super. Reading directions and everything.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Welcome back! I wondered what had happened to you. I didn't ask Gawilli because it has been my unfortunate habit to ask questions like, "How is your husband?" and get an answer like "I kicked him out." Then, what does one say? LOL
Not that I thought I would get that answer from Gawilli, but, I'm just sayin'...

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad your back. now then i need to you over here to try and make me wireless, i have thrown the towel in! i tried it with sky internet nope it wouldnt work then i went back to my cable isp, still wouldnt work! so for the time being i am 'un-wireless' maybe i will try again in the new year. glad you managed it clever you

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO with Gawilli about non-commenting spouses! He used to comment...and so did my IRL friends and family, then I think they got lazy and just call or email me wanting more details. Sigh...

BUT big huge bonus points to you for fixing the problem!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home