Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Rock and Roll USA

Monday, January 8th was Elvis Presley's birthday. In today's Post Tribune an article ran about a freshman representative's first speech. The headline said, "Rep gets all shook up in Congress". Naturally this caught my eye.

As I read, "Thank you, Mr. Speaker. Yesterday, Jan 8, was the 72nd anniversary of the birth of the King of Rock 'n' Roll, Elvis Presley. Elvis was a Memphian, a U.S. Army veteran, and an ambassador of goodwill throughout the world through his music and movies. I'm here to tell you that Elvis is still alive today....." I panicked!

Have the people of Tennessee elected a representative that has seen Elvis at the 7/11?

Upon further reading I relaxed, .... "in spirit and as relevant as ever."

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn. went on to talk enthusiastically about the Democratic 100 hours. He used Elvis metaphors that not only made me line up behind the effort, but also left me all shook up. Consider: "it's now or never' that we make changes America needs". Or responding to why the Democrats should make the 100 hour push, "because we will do the people's will so we will not be 'returned to sender.'

The article ended with the following quote, "And we won't be cruel to those who are being paid the minimum wage."

I stood up at the breakfast table and gyrated, but only from the waist up. I sure hope the Democrats are successful or we may all be in the "heartbreak hotel".

--Willi

8 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

I saw the King, himself. No, not today, I saw Elvis in his gold suit in 1957 at The War Memorial Colesium in Fort Wayne, third row... Too Much.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very silly article and delightful too! So glad they can still report the news AND keep a sense of humour.

Happy B'day, King!

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How funny...running on the Elvis Platform! Sounds like an interesting guy

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Using Elvis to support the minimum wage? I guess I've heard of crazier ideas.

5:56 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:57 PM  
Blogger daddy d said...

That is a very rich posting. There are many levels of meaning that can be seen. The statement ... "in spirit and as relevant as ever." has that layering. However, I like the early Elvis more than the later Elvis. That may be kinda like, liking baby Jesus more that adult Jesus. It is easier.

9:07 PM  
Blogger gawilli said...

Elvis was no hound dog, that's for sure. Hope Rep. Cohen has on his blue suede shoes...sounds like they will be kickin' some butt this session!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ran into this blog through your title box which quotes the song "I've Got Boats to Build", which Jimmy Buffett covered on his second to last album. Then I was surprised to see the post on Elvis... which nicely enough, I got Jimmy Buffett's newest CD for Christmas (Take the Weather with You), which has a song called "Elvis Presley Blues" on it; Jimmy's second tribute to the King. At first I said "not my favorite song" but after it passed by thrice, I did a complete 180. It's a fabulous song admiring what the King did to the world when he gyrated those hips! I recommend you check it out.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY KING!

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home