Thursday, May 10, 2007

Rubbers for my Cowboy Boots

Ever since I was a kid I loved the west and cowboys. I always had boots. Why my dad took me to Shoe City for some Easter shoes and we came home with a pair of red cowboy boots. It sent my mom into a tail spin, but she spun out of it.

I wear cowboy boots everyday. I don't even own a pair of shoes, except for gym shoes. In the winter with the snow and ice and all the salt it presents a problem. The leather soles of the Noconas soak through and your feet can be uncomfortable. I usually wear a pair of rubber shoes or boots and change when I get to work.

On the way back from a work trip I stopped at a western store in Warsaw, Indiana. Along with some boot and hat care chemicals I bought a pair of rubbers for my cowboy boots. I got that winter thing licked now!

The whole experience set me to thinking.... When I was in school we learned to read with the Ginn Reading series featuring Tom, Dick and Jane. Oh yea, and Spot, the dog. I was not the best of the readers. I think it was because I couldn't relate to Tom, Dick and Jane. I mean their families were so "white bread" compared to mine. I even remember reading about Tom, Dick and Jane putting their rubbers on. I had to ask Ila Jane about it. She said they put them on their shoes so they wouldn't get wet. I wondered why they just didn't wear their hunting boots to school like I did.

The whole "rubbers for my cowboy boots" experience set me to thinking:

1962 I went to school
Tom, Dick and Jane
was the rule.
Reading was a struggle
Them Ginn kids weren't the same as me.
They had a spotted dog
I had a blue tick hound,
The neighbor a black and tan
with a gold tooth.
Them Ginn kids weren't the same.
Their Daddy worked,
Their momma stayed at home.
Both my parents worked.
Weren't nothing in the book
about paying bills.
Them Ginn kids weren't the same.
They worried about their
rubbers when it rained,
Ila Jane had to explain.
They put them on their shoes - boy!
Them Ginn kids weren't the same.
They played games and
They played nice.
I played dominos, learned my math facts fast.
"Play Damn it!" Grand Dad said.
Them Ginn kids weren't the same.
I seen Dick and I seen Jane,
Run Spot run,
but it ain't the same.
Cowboys and Injuns,
The Blue and the Gray,
Crafts and engines
I did learn to read
when I had the need.
B.S.E., M.S.E. and a whole lot more
without them Ginn Kids
I did a whole lot more.
Fifty years later,
I get it now.
Got that rubber thing down.
Even got 'em for my cowboy boots!
-Willi

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ginn kids were different from a lot of us. I could see you in those red cowboy boots...and I can see your mama in a tail spin! Glad you got some boots for your boots!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

He,he, you make me smile. When Daddy D and I married, my Dad cautioned my husband to remind me to wear my boots. Currently, I do not even own a pair of boots. Instead, I wear my shoes for the day. If there is rain or slush, water oozes through the holes in my Crocs. Maybe there are rubbers for Crocs...probably not. I wouldn't wear them anyway.

6:17 AM  
Blogger daddy d said...

I used to have such shoe coverings. Not anymore. I do have some boots that are water proof. They really work. The extra layer of protection is not needed with those shoes.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I love this post, it reminds me of the things we did learn at school and out in the yard, out in the paddocks out in the countryside I grew up in. Not sure who the Ginn Kids were, but I knew the rest.
I played cowboys and injins wit my big brother, he used to take FOR-EV-ER to die when I would shoot him!!! LOL.

2:41 AM  
Blogger tony said...

Hi Willi
I,m bloghopping & came across you.I guess were of the same generation?
Great taste in music & great blog!
Regards From England

3:45 PM  
Blogger willi said...

Cazzie-the Ginn kids are the characters in a school reading series from the 60's published by Ginn.

Main characters: Dick and Jane and Spot the dog

5:32 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Hey Willi,
Time for a new post.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home